[lbo-talk] What is The Economy ...was Open Letter

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 17:32:51 PDT 2011

On 7/17/2011 7:39 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> SA wrote: In other words, the important thing is to understand what Karl
> Marx said, not how an economy works. SA
>
> Let's look at wht this implies.

Carrol, you don't lack for philosophical ambition. You seem to believe that if you only pose a sufficient number of Really Deep Questions about What Is An Economy?, then somehow you can prove that (a) the economy doesn't exist and (b) that it can't be understood. Poof! - the economy disappears! (Of course, if the economy doesn't exist, it follows automatically that it can't be understood, but let's ignore that.)

By a similar technique it has also been proved that you can't walk to the bathroom, because first you have to walk half the distance; but before you can do that you have to walk a quarter of the distance; but before that you must walk an eighth of the distance, etc. Let me ask you: Have I succeeded yet in persuading you that you can't walk to the bathroom? No??? But the proof is airtight! See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno's_paradoxes

Instead of responding directly to your challenge by trying to come up with a definition of the economy that will only provoke an endless round of philosophical hairsplitting, I'll pose some questions that I believe are questions about "the economy"whose answers it would be useful to know. My contention is that if the output of economists can give us any help in answering these questions, then it has helped us in "understanding the economy":

(1) what caused the drop in output and employment that started in 2007-08? (2) if federal spending is cut along the lines now being discussed in Washington , what effect, if any, will it have on the ability of a worker to find a job? (3) what relationship, if any, is there between the huge rise in the prices of oil, wheat, rice, etc., and the Federal Reserve's unusual monetary policies of the past two years?

Now, my contention is that there do exist bodies of research by economists that can help us to answer, or at least come closer to answering, these questions. But since you have no familiarity with these bodies of research, you have no way of really responding to my contention. Therefore, you fall back onto infinitely abstract questions about What Is An Economy?, which you hope can embroil your victim in an unescapable mire of endless philosophizing, which will discursively convey the impression that There Is No Economy and that It Can't Be Understood.

Noam Chomsky, who knows a lot more than I do about physics (which isn't saying anything), once said that modern physics still can't provide answers to apparently simple questions, like, what will be the path of the milk clouds created by pouring milk into a mug of coffee. By your logic, apparently, that means There Is No Physics and Nothing Can Be Understood About Physics, or something like that. With economics the situation is analogous (I said analogous, not similar). Economists can't predict the price of beer a year from now. But they can discover that guaranteeing the short-term liabilities of the financial system in a crisis will prevent a sudden contraction in the effective money supply, which is a major reason why the 30's Depression saw unemployment rise by 20%, instead of the 5% that it rose this time.

I could provide many more examples of such practical knowledge gained through economics. As to whether class forces and political institutions will result in "good" policies (from our POV) actually being implemented - as opposed to being known but unimplemented - is a different question.

SA