[lbo-talk] Open Letter from a Keynesian to a Marxist by Joan Robinson

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 22:44:55 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM, michael perelman <michael.perelman3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last I heard, Jesse Schwartz was growing heirloom apples.  I
> appreciate that but I would have preferred that he continued with his
> political economy.

Ha - that actually doesn't surprise me too much given his manner in the intro to the book:

"By certain rituals, we are told, it is possible for the Shaman to fall into a state of ecstasy, a temporary liberation from time and the space restrictions of the body, wherein he can heal the sick and divine the future... A political economist should be like a Shaman... In this future society, people will create garden cities - temples fit for the human spirit - and they will experience holistic healing in place of the medicine of commerce, so that they can dance, moving their arms and bodies freely, in clear air and sunlight, becoming one with the river." (pp. 12-13)

Really a different time!

Anyway I'm overposting now...

Mike