[lbo-talk] Gerhard Hanloser Critique of Moishe Postone on Antisemitism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 18 11:50:44 PDT 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Angelus Novus wrote:

> A recent heated debate with a friend of mine about the recent social movements in Greece prompted me to translate this article. I argued that the attacks upon financial institutions and "foreign powers" do not constitute Antisemitism, as Antisemitism necessarily entails some targeting of Jews. Furthermore, unlike Antisemitism, the Greek protestors are not delusional: part of the current misery in Greece is **indeed** the result of international financial institutions and foreign powers (namely Brussels and Berlin).
>
> Anyway, I think this is a valuable corrective to the hasty accusation of Antisemitism whenever the role of international finance is brought up:
>
> http://communism.blogsport.eu/2011/07/18/attac-the-critique-of-globalization-and-structural-antisemitism/

Good points, but I've noticed myself that there's an affinity between critiques of finance and a history of right populism, which has roots in a provincial petty bourgeois dislike of the big and rootless. It's amazing how often that sort of thing has a kind of anti-semitism as a traveling companion. I noticed this in a lot of the crappy video premiums that my former radio station, WBAI, used to offer. Jewish names were always prominently listed in these critiques. It's not a great distance between these and the critique of stock exchange capitalism in Mein Kampf.

Doug