[lbo-talk] Open Letter from a Keynesian to a Marxist by Joan Robinson

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 19 13:48:39 PDT 2011

"Intertwined" is somewhat mealy-mouth. Power determines the wage level. Power is affected by many factors, among which is the demand for labor. Weak demand _tends_ to reduce the power of labor, but only tends to. There is no reason _in principle_ that labor should not (under various conditions) force high wages even though demand were weak. And even if demand is strong that doe snot by itself give labor more power: power must always be fought for.

I'm not actually arguing with Marv here, but I think the 'nuances' I ad are in some discussions or some situations of great improtance.

Carrol