[lbo-talk] methyl idodide on strawberries

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 20 06:17:16 PDT 2011

On 7/20/2011 12:50 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote: There must be heirloom berry growers somewhere!?

Yes. In southwestern michigan& southern Illinois. But mostly now sold in roadside stands or pick your own.

One local dealer here brings up Southern Illinois berries, but one has to guess the exact day he has them. High gasoline prices prevent him from going up to Michigan to get berries there.

The structure for shipping the berries anyplace collapsed long ago. Before 'the war,' and into the '50s, the second largest whoolesale fruit market in the U.S. was in BentonHarbor. Thousands of trucks of fruit a day poured through it.

[Great Depression Anecdote: One day in 1939 my uncle went to market with 300 crates of strawberries. About 4 hours later he came home with 300 crates of strawberries, which they dumped to the hogs: The highest bid had been 15 cents a crate, and the packaging cost 22 cents. Pickers got paid 32 cents a crate. We had lots of shortcake.]

Carrol

]