[lbo-talk] Krugman: "The question then is why."

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 07:25:00 PDT 2011

Dennis: "Because it means that there is at least some sliver of opposition."

[WS:] I would agree, but with some serious qualifications. Opposition that has no chance of success is often detrimental to an alternative course of action, if such a course exists. Furthermore, engaging in an act of opposition that has no chance of success even if no alternatives exist is often a manifestation of weakness. I can see, however, the value of engaging in such opposition - even if it is suicidal - under certain circumstances - for example the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, an alternative to which was being slaughtered by the Nazis without any opposition. I do not think, however, that this condition applies to the US.

Where I am coming from, the acts of opposition that had no chance of success have been a dime a dozen. The national mythology is rife with them. Their only outcome was a slaughter of people who otherwise might have contributed something of value to society. And the effect of their memory is feeding into nationalist sentiments exploited by reactionary forces. So I've been pretty much fed up with martyrdom - I prefer more pragmatic courses of action.

Dennis: "You often complain here that you've offered one or another alternative way of thinking that no one pays attention to."

[WS:] You are misinterpreting what I said. I have never complained about the lack of attention on this list. Au contraire - I complained about receiving too much attention, especially of the inquisitorial kind. I understand that undermining other people's credibility is a popular form of discourse in certain circles, and that is fine. I just do not want to be a part of it.

Dennis: "If success is your only criteria for worth, then why should anyone pay attention to you?"

[WS:] Good question. I think I explained why I tend to prefer courses of action that have a chance of success to those that do not (albeit everything I say or do is contingent on circumstances, as I said time and again) - so those who do not like that do not really need to pay any attention to what I post. Time is a scarce resource - use it selectively.

Wojtek