[lbo-talk] methyl idodide on strawberries

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:22:24 PDT 2011

Shag: "You can't even get good tasting local strawberries that you pick yourself around here. I guess they've created berries that are much more hardy and can handle the packing and shipping process at the expense of taste. There must be heirloom berry growers somewhere!?"

[WS:] Yup. I just came back from Eastern Europe where I stayed for 2 weeks during the strawberry season. The taste does not even compare. However, strawberries there are pretty much seasonal - you get them only in June and the first half of July - whereas you can get them here pretty much all year round. They look good on a shelf but taste like a cardboard. The same is true of tomatoes - they do not even have any smell. And mangoes - they are pretty dull here but much more flavorful in Asia. Even oranges taste much better in Spain than they typically do here, which I find strange, because they are grown here rather than imported form the end of the earth.

I guess most Americans - especially those untraveled - do not even realize how much they are shortchanged by supermarkets here - food is far more expensive and tastes much worse than elsewhere.

Wojtek