[lbo-talk] Gerhard Hanloser Critique of Moishe Postone on Antisemitism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:32:46 PDT 2011

Angelus: "And the thing is, not only are the social movements in places like Greece and Spain vital, but if anything, I think a healthy dose of personalization of capitalism, directed against Germany and the EU, is a good thing. If protestors were to start hurling invective at Jean-Claude Trichet and Angela Merkel, that would be a partial insight, not a delusional processing of mysterious abstract social relations."

[WS:] Yeah, I reached the same conclusion some time ago. Abstract discussions are a diversion not just from action but also from understanding how the real world works. What matters is not theology or philosophy but actions of people and institutions and their rigging laws and policies to their advantage. Documentaries like "Inside Job" or "Capitalism: A Love Story" do that expose quite well, and are far more effective that all academic "theories" of capitalism. I am not sure, though, how throwing invectives at these institutions and their functionaries can be of any use - they do not expose real life operations.

Wojtek