[lbo-talk] infrastructure

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 21 10:20:07 PDT 2011

On 7/21/2011 11:42 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> A very serious sociological topic. The use of "phony" as a pejorative term works because people in our society are expected to have an authentic, unique essence "beneath" their social roles ("the real me").
>
> The 60th anniversary of the publication of Catcher in the Rye was last Saturday, I believe. Maybe we're all just celebrating.
>
> Doug

I didn't know that. I did think of the book the other day but couldn't quote or even paraphrase it well enough to make use of it. One of the best students I ever had in freshman comp, a Janet Coleman, wrote a superb impromptu on Salinger's "Fore Esme, with love & ???" That was in second-semester comp at Michigan. Students who got an A or an "Exempt B" in the first semester were exempted from the second semester; hence such superb writing on an impromptu theme was an actual shock. Apparently she had somehow ticked off her first-semester instructor.

Carrol