[lbo-talk] infrastructure

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Jul 21 12:00:24 PDT 2011

On 7/21/2011 11:15 AM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> Opening up it's not about who you are but what you feel; it implies a level of trust and courage that can make social interaction transformative rather than just ritualized.

Goffman's point is a bit more radical: what we feel and every "transformative" social interaction we have is a ritualized social role too (trust and courage are socially defined and expressed!). That doesn't make those intimate interactions any less important to us; it's just that there isn't some core, essential part of us that floats freely and independently above the hustle and bustle of social relations. (--and back we go to the sixth thesis on Feuerbach.)

Miles