[lbo-talk] happy birthday to our favorite curmudgeon

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 22 08:44:23 PDT 2011

At 08:35 AM 7/22/2011, Alan Rudy wrote:

>Here here!
>Alan
>
>On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Facebook tells me that today is Carrol Cox's birthday. Hope it's a
> > tolerably happy one, Carrol.

I'll save our English prof the trouble of pointing out that this should be Hear! Hear! ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him, hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker. It is often incorrectly spelled "here here".[1]

It was originally an imperative for directing attention to speakers, and has since been used, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, as "the regular form of cheering in the House of Commons", with many purposes depending on the intonation of its user.[2] Its use in Parliament is linked to the fact that applause is normally (though not always) forbidden in the chambers of the House of Commons and House of Lords.[3]

The phrase hear him, hear him! was used in Parliament from late in the 17th century, and was reduced to hear! or hear, hear! by the late 18th century. The verb hear had earlier been used in the King James Bible as a command for others to listen.[2]

Other phrases have been derived from hear, hear, such as a hear, hear (a cheer), to hear-hear (to shout the expression), and hear-hearer (a person who does the same).