[lbo-talk] Note on Low vision and web sites

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 23 11:39:13 PDT 2011

On 7/22/2011 12:54 AM, brandelune at gmail.com wrote:

> No, just use modern tools that are proved to work with vision impaired people.
> Apple has a great record as far as accessibility is concerned. I'm following a vision impaired mac user list and they are even happier now with the release of the new version of the OS.
>
> Jean-Christophe

If you are speaking of text to speech and speech to text, o.k. If you are talking about software to stabilize a screen and prevent it from jumping around, o.k. If you are talking about a way one can use the Windows 7 searvh feature to search one's own hard dis for material, o.k.

If you are talking about making words more intelligible on the screen, then you (a) haven't been reading my posts and (b) you are talking about Apple successfully repealing the geometry axioms you learn your first day in geometry class. I can easily make text easy enough for me to read. I do it constantly with no trouble at all. But I am running up against an elementary fact of geometry. The larger the font, the less information on a given line.

Take that last line:

an elementary fact of geometry. The larger

I can only see as far as geo. The rest, and what I'm tyuping now, is hidden off screen. I will have to move the screen all over the place to find out if Imade any typos. But I have no trouble whatever in reading what is on the screen. The screen simply cannot contain enough information at one time. That puts a damper on thought.

Carrol