[lbo-talk] Baer warning

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 19:59:08 PDT 2011

I've always viewed the threat of an attack with Iran as a bargaining chip to force the US and Europe to keep the pressure on the Iranians to accept international controls on its nuclear program. Now, I'm less certain because of the alarm being expressed by veterans of the Israeli military and security establishment which appear to be genuine. Perhaps the thinking on the Israeli right is that the fog and chaos unleashed by another Mideast war would provide an opportunity to expel large numbers of Palestinians from the West Bank - another "naqba" on the scale of 1948, as it were, one which it thinks would put paid to any further talk of a Palestinian state. I don't think it's particularly concerned about the threat from Hezbollah or Hamas or from Iran's conventional forces, for that matter. No other explanation makes sense to me. I doubt anyone in Israel really believes it can knock out enough of the dispersed and deeply buried Iranian nuclear sites to to set back its program for more than a few years.