[lbo-talk] If McCain had won

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 05:08:56 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-21, at 10:16 AM, // ravi wrote:

> I think if at all we are to play the comparison game, it would be better to see how Obama would compare to a better liberal - e.g., the FDR mentioned in passing in the article.

The question which we really can't answer - except for ourselves, with reference to our political instincts - is how the majority of US working people, ie. Democrats and independents, would react to a President Obama who (let us suspend disbelief for a moment) declared:

"We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace—business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

"They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

"Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred."

- Roosevelt, campaigning for a second term in 1936