[lbo-talk] ] Fwd: [Pen-l] "Today, We are all Norwegians?"

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jul 25 11:57:58 PDT 2011

On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:55:06 -0500
> Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
>> The phrase is, "I know it's not pc, but..." It doesn't matter what
>> follows it. Anyone who writes or speaks this phrase is an enemy of left
>> activity in the U.S.
>
> This seems a bit sweeping. One would like to hear the reasoning
> in a bit more detail.

Ironic since it is the very refusal to reason that makes the phrase problematic. To me, the phrase represents the following argument:

1. I have a strong opinion based on personal taste 2. I realise that there is reason to suspect that this opinion is unfounded 3. I choose not to defend it using argument 4. Instead I will offer a backhanded apology by calling your view “PC”

This is of particular significance to left positions (or activity) because, almost by definition, [reactionary] conservatism is the pig-headed adherence to positions that are no longer tenable and only made presentable through appeal to emotion and use of ridicule (“pc”).

IMHO,

—ravi