[lbo-talk] ] Fwd: [Pen-l] "Today, We are all Norwegians?"

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:50:41 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

> The praxis was largely, as far as I could tell, a matter of
> policing diction -- certain words and phrases were disapproved-of,
> including a good many ancient vernacular expressions.

True kinda, but that's also a convenient caricature, one that binds the right to the muscular left. The praxis starts with a recognition that power relationships are revealed and transmitted through language, something I know you recognize. It did go off in all sorts of crazy directions--e.g., Antioch--but the kernel of it was rational.