[lbo-talk] ] Fwd: [Pen-l] "Today, We are all Norwegians?"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jul 25 16:02:58 PDT 2011

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:46:48 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> That's not how I remember it. What I
> remember is a great upswelling of protest
> in the late sixties and seventies, which
> was ghettoized and kettled in the various
> "oppressed" studies departments at the universities.

Actually that's much the way I remember it too. Perhaps I expressed myself badly.

I don't remember people starting to talk about 'PC' on the campuses until the mid-80s, when the campuses were largely pretty quiet but a certain kind of liberal bien-pensanterie had become prevailing wisdom.

My own campus days were earlier, in the 60s and early 70s. The institutions themselves, and the professorial mandarinate, were anything but liberal in those days (though some of the profs had fairly louche lifestyles, kept more or less private). But the students were pretty restless.

Multiculturalism, the the succeeding decade, didn't show the same interest we had in overturning the table. The idea seemed to be that the table was fine, as long as every group had a representative seated at it. This is why it seems to me a quintessentially liberal -- which is to say, conservative -- outlook.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com