[lbo-talk] Bill Gates, education reformer

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 25 19:07:16 PDT 2011

On 7/25/2011 4:17 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Seth Kulick wrote:

. . . . "you can spend a day in a KIPP school and know
>> that they are spending less money than the dropout factory down the
>> road."
>
> But they're not. They're spending 1/3 more.

Of course "education reform" is not the actual issue: it's the current stage of the attack on living standards of workers that began in the mid-70s. Probably it's best for leftists to speak of the "attack on teachers and staff" rather than "education reform." I can't remember for sure, but I think the current sense of "reform" first came in to use in the "tax revolt" in California and its reverberations elsewhere. Or did that follow its use in "regulatory reform"? Anyhow, it seems a good word to stay away from now.

Carrol