[lbo-talk] The political incorrectness of Thomas the Tank Engine

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jul 26 12:18:33 PDT 2011

On Tue, July 26, 2011 11:51 am, // ravi wrote:

> For M. Smith:
>
> the imperialism and British conservatism of Thomas the Tank Engine:
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2299653/pagenum/all/#p2

For li'l ole *me*, or some other M. Smith? And if so... why?

But I'm very flattered, of course. This sort of thing has a long and honorable history; the locus classicus surely is Ariel Dorfman's book on Donald Duck.

Besides, I loathe Thomas the Tank Engine. Fortunately neither of my kids ever showed any interest in the show. However I do know a young person -- unrelated to me by blood, as it happens -- who loves T the TE above all things. She descends from a long line of compliant, motivated, and highly successful people -- characterizations which most certainly do not apply to my own family.