[lbo-talk] Neo-fascist exemplar

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 12:43:36 PDT 2011

CB: That the Tea Party Movement's white supremacy would be characterized as "crypto" and not open and notorious, with the top priority that the Tea Partiers give to anti-immigrant and anti-Obama political action, speaks to the success of the denial tactic.

FM:  Rand Paul's pledge to "modify" the Civil Rights Act because it meddles in the sovereign right of private businesses is a good example of TPM crypto-racism.  Paul's statement is usually preceded by a statement of his support of the Civil Rights Act.  He does not see himself as a racist but rather as a pure exemplar of libertarian principles.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/libertarians-on-pauls-civil-rights-stance-very-reasonable.php

Nationally the top priority of the TPM seems to be less about anti-immigration than the right-libertarian economic agenda of its funders.  Locally, groups like the Arizona Tea Party are more openly racist and anti-immigrant.  My guess is that the TPM changes from state to state just as European anti-immigrant and racist groups change from country to country.  They can all be labelled racist and fascist but the differences in how these groups choose to appeal to what they see as their local or national cultures makes all the difference in how successful they become as populist movements.

Marine Le Pen to RT: We fight for French identity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_qYKa1n8Es