[lbo-talk] October 2011 Movement / Occupation of Freedom Plaza in DC

Stephen Jones stephenjonesnyc at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 17:38:50 PDT 2011

http://www.youtube.com/user/October2011org http://october2011.org/welcome

"I pledge that if any U.S. troops, contractors, or mercenaries remain in Afghanistan on Thursday, October 6, 2011, as that occupation goes into its 11th year, I will commit to being in Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C., with others on that day or the days immediately following, for as long as I can, with the intention of making it our Tahrir Square, Cairo, our Madison, Wisconsin, where we will NONVIOLENTLY resist the corporate machine by occupying Freedom Plaza until our resources are invested in human needs and environmental protection instead of war and exploitation. We can do this together. We will be the beginning."

This seems to be gathering signatures of people who actually plan on being there.  From the video, I recognize Glen Ford, Ted Rall, Chris Hedges, Ray McGovern.  From the website, there are plenty of famous lefty names.

I'd like to hear what others have read/heard about this effort and the advisability of such a move at this time.  Could this be the first organized shot in what Doug prophesied/hoped for... the deep anger over bait-and-switch Obama a la Kennedy?  "Bill Moyer" is listed, but that would be the "U.S. Army veteran, known for wearing a 'Bullshit Protector' to a VFW event where President Bush was speaking" (Wikipedia) and not LBJ/PBS liberal Bill Moyers.  When we see "the" Moyers or Paul Krugman there, maybe that's the tipping point.

Stephen Jones

PS: Doug: have you had Ted Rall on your show?  He'd be funny if nothing else.