[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn is funny

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 27 17:37:54 PDT 2011

I've been complaining for years on this e-list about the tendency to identify intelligence with correct results. Michael is still actually assuming this, because "instincts" is just another euphemism for intellect. There is no such thing as a wrong or a right instinct.

Bush 2 was obviously as intelligent as anyone on this list. Calling him stupid was a cop-out and avoided actually trying to explain his policies. They had nothing to do with either stupidity _or_ lack of intelligence.

And of course there is the point Gould made, never refuted: Intelligence does not exist. Nor, of course, do instincts in humans.

Carrol