[lbo-talk] “It provokes screams from the left”

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 27 19:15:21 PDT 2011

On 7/27/2011 8:56 PM, Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:
> Well, Reagan was probably even more hostile to Medicare and social security
> and the like and didn't pursue these policies.

It's a process. I don't have the chronology at my fingertips, but starting in the mid-70s a steady downward pressure on wages (including private & public benefits). Reagan got that slimy "double-dip" provision in Social Security. Two-tier contracts. Broken or neutered unions (Greyhound, Hormel, the grocery chains), deregulation, state open-shop laws. Chipping away at school 'extras' eliminated some of what the WSJ called "subsidized middle-class wages." It's an endless list. Random contrasts such asyou offer are utterly irrelevant.

Carrol