[lbo-talk] Obama and His Discontents

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 29 06:29:44 PDT 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

> Given the menu back then, voting for Obama was the right thing to do.
> In spite of your skepticism, you voted for Obama. Whatever your
> rationale -- if it was good for you, why was it not so for others? If
> one thinks that voting for Obama is better than the alternative, then
> why not call others to do the same? It seems to me like wanting to
> have it both ways.

It's one thing to vote for the guy. It's another to waste a lot of time stumping for him and waste massive amounts of energy bloviating about his greatness. Expectations were hugely raised, and it was a year or more before he faced any significant criticism from the left. One of the reasons that he and other Dems can get away with playing to the right is that they never have to pay a price on the left. Unions will keep writing checks and providing campaign workers, environmental groups will go on about how much worse the GOP would be. (On the last, how about the way they suspended that EPA guy for reporting on polar bear death from climate change because it might interfere with drilling in the Arctic?)

Doug