[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn is funny

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 08:40:26 PDT 2011

I completely agree with Carrol and Jim on this point. I especially agree with Jim's assessment of Reagan and Bush , the Younger, exploiting what I call the American Know Nothing or anti-intellectual political tradition. I suppose it is also an anti-academic and anti-bookish tradition. At one point , Bush , the Elder, tried to dumb down his rhetoric, but it was a bit too late for him to change his persona that drastically. He had been the head of the Central Intelligence Agency, so it was kind of hard to believe he wasn't "intelligent" (lol).

It would be best if we just stopped using any reference to the smartness or dumbness, etc of political leaders.

Charles

Jim Farmelant

Carrol Cox writes:
> I've been complaining for years on this e-list about the tendency to
>
> identify intelligence with correct results. Michael is still
> actually
> assuming this, because "instincts" is just another euphemism for
> intellect. There is no such thing as a wrong or a right instinct.

I think there are several points to be made:

1) The policies that US presidents choose to pursue are

seldom, if ever, cooked up, by the presidents themselves.

Instead, they are usually developed by their advisers, with

the assistance of university academics, people from thinktanks,

people from special interest groups, etc. Most of these people

are certainly at least as bright and well educated as anyone

on this list

2) Concerning G.W. Bush, while I wouldn't consider him to be

by far the brightest of US presidents, he is not necessarily

a dummy either. His SAT scores were reportedly only

slightly lower than Al Gore's (and some people here may

remember that Gore basically flunked out of grad school.

3) In the GOP there seems to have been long a tradition of

producing presidents who played dumb in order to appeal

to their base. Dwight Eisenhower was one such example.

He was famous for giving press conferences in which he

would give confused and garbled answers to questions

submitted to him by reporters. As a consequence he was

often openly derided by liberal intellectuals, who liked to

compare him unfavorably to Adlai Stevenson, who the

intellectuals seemed to think was more qualified to be

president. In fact Einsenhower had been the successful

Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during WW II.

After the war, he even served as short stint as president

of Columbia University. Such a man was not likely to

be a dummy. And we now know from the diaries that

kept as POTUS that when he often gave those confused

and garbled answers at press conferences, he was doing so

quite deliberately, either because he did not wish to answer

the questions being asked of him or because he wanted to

throw his adversaries off their guard.

3) Ronald Reagan, likewise, had a reputation for being a "dummy",

for being an "amiable dunce", as Tip O'Neill was reportedly

quoted as describing him. On the face of things, there seems

little evidence that he actually was a dummy. Regardless of

what we might think of his policies, the man had too many

political successes to be casually dismissed, as many liberals

were apt to do with him when he was president. I think

that somewhere along the line, he learned that it could be

quite expedient to play the role of "amiable dunce."

Throughout his political careeer, his adversaries consistently

underestimated him to their own peril. And like earlier

Republican presidents like Ike, I think that Reagan realized

that whenever he was attacked by liberals as being

unintelligent, uninformed, or downright ignorant, such

attacks only enhanced his appeal within his own base.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math