[lbo-talk] Liberals

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Jun 1 07:07:17 PDT 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 09:23:33 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> I kind of adore [Harold Bloom]. Reading the Anxiety
> of Influence as a sophomore is one of the things that
> led me out of the Party of the Right

It's amazing how quirky and sui-generis our pathways are.

If you had asked me to name a writer who could have knocked a kid off his right-wing hobbyhorse on the way to Damascus and put the fear of Marx in him, Bloom is not somebody I would have thought of. On the contrary: all that dreary ranking and canonizing and winnowing -- Shakespeare wrote 38 plays, and 24 of them are masterpieces -- seem quite Philistine and reactionary to me.

But really, there's no telling how a given text will jam itself into the unique N-dimensional jigsaw puzzle that constitutes an individual mind.

Chalk one up for Bloomie; our Doug was a brand for the burning, and the Great Manatee snatched him from the fire. Laus digno.

Irrelevantly, it is extraordinary how the mailing-list form fosters quarrels. Doug and I started out *agreeing* about NPR, if memory serves.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com