[lbo-talk] Liberals

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 1 07:22:18 PDT 2011

Harold Bloom is (or at least was) a damn good literary scholar/critic. I did not have him as a teacher as Doug did -- and that makes a difference. I wouldn't expect anuyone on this list to share my feeling for Austen Warren, nor should Doug expect anyone to share his feeling for Bloom.

But besides being a damn good critic, Bloom was/is also a bit weird -- or, using political categories as an analogy, he was an opportunist.

I can see how Anxiety of Influence could jolt many readers out of whatever complacency they felt before reading it. Perhaps that is the reason it had a political impact on Doug?? But it doesn't really hold water: whatever limited validity it might have applies to a very tiny patch of literary history: English poetry from Milton to Stevens.

Carrol