[lbo-talk] Dialogue with the Past (was Liberfals)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 1 13:12:40 PDT 2011

On 6/1/2011 1:33 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

Yeah "Anxiety" was a problem for me. The idea that an artist was primarily in a dialog with other artists....rather than with his immediate audience...was kinda depressing. Joanna

----

This I do not understand. This part of Bloom's argument seems and useful to me. Remember Dante joining the "Greats" of the past in the Limbo of virtuous pagans? Of course he was in dialogue with the past. And Milton at times seems to want his turns to be compared with, seen as a didalogue with, the wonderful turns in the Metamorphoses. Bloom, if I remember correctly, ignores Pope, but Wordsworth's echoes of Pope in the Prelude are always fun. I was skeptical of the _anxiety_ emphasis but the conversation with past poets is a wonderful perception

And I don't remember if this was in Bloom or not, but an author's conversation with the past seems to me the invitation he/she extends to the future, asking for similar response from future writers. It is the writer's plea for immortality.

Carrol