[lbo-talk] Dialogue with the Past (was Liberfals)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 1 16:47:17 PDT 2011

On 6/1/2011 5:32 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 6:29 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
>

>> Even Milton... not a particularly anxious
>> guy, I would have said.
>>
> Of course not. He's the big strongman of the canon. It's the ephebes that are anxious.
>
> Doug

Wordsworth? As it turned out, he had reason to be anxious, as his poetry hit bottom after about 1805. But in the Prelude of 1805 or any of the major poems up to that point, he seems pretty confident. And with reason; even knowing the later flatness does not reveal any evidence of the flatness around the corner.

I came to the Prelude late. (I had read it several times but it never 'lit up' for me. But when I read it again about 6 or 7 years ago, it enthralled me. The poem 'lives up' to its echo of the last lines of PL.

Carrol