[lbo-talk] The rape of education continues

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Jun 2 04:38:52 PDT 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 22:13:14 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net writes:
> I learned new math when I came to the U.S. in 1963, and I thought it
> was wonderful because it did away with the arbitrariness of math and
> helped you understand why things were so.
>
> But this was the sixties, before smart women math teachers were able
> to get any other jobs, so I benefitted hugely from having a lot of
> excellent math teachers who really understood what they were doing.

I had new math back in the mid-1960s and liked it, but I think that project was a failure for most students because instruction was pitched at too abstract a level and most teachers simply lacked the training in set theory (most school teachers I don't think knew who Frege, Russell, or Whitehead were) to understand what it was all about and to convey that understanding to young children.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math