[lbo-talk] Liberals

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 08:10:14 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> On 6/3/2011 7:52 AM, Michael Smith wrote:
>

>> I've had English teachers -- in college, yet --
>> who reacted *very* badly when I didn't like one of their
>> faves. Admittedly, it was Keats -- whom I still can't stand.
>>
>> For me it was Dickens. Why such a cloying hack is revered among English
> profs is an utter mystery to me.
>
> Miles

Oh, oh, oh, did my college lit prof and I disagree about Grape Expectorations... And the essentialist feminist lit prof and I... don't get me started. The AP English guy in HS was kinda cool but why the hell we had to memorize crap from Chaucer's thieving from Boccaccio - in Olde English - I'll never know and always resent. At least he took us to a movie theater to see Polanski's MacBeth...