[lbo-talk] The Optimism of a Double-Dip

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 08:58:05 PDT 2011

A crisis is the method by which a capitalist economy partially purges itself of the effects of past mistakes while imposing misery on the masses.

Economists often characterize the outcomes as by the shape of letters of the alphabet. A "V" indicates a quick collapse and an equally quick recovery. "L" suggests a collapse followed by a very weak recovery. And a "W" indicates a double-dip in which the quick recovery is followed by another collapse. Ironically, our previous president was known as "W" will and our present president could be known as zero, which approximates the first letter of his last name.

A V-shaped recovery suggests that the economy was fundamentally strong, allowing the economy to quickly pick up steam. A W-shaped outcome is a telltale sign of an economy that was leaked to begin with, propped up by external support, which was withdrawn prematurely.

For example, Roosevelt succumbed to outside pressure in 1937, leading to an expected setback. Under far less pressure, Obama followed suit. Read more at:

http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/the-optimism-of-a-double-dip/

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com