[lbo-talk] St. Hubert Humphrey

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:18:58 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2011, at 1:49 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:
>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/opinion/27Perlstein.html
>>
>> Don't have energy to take this nonsense on, but I remember Humphrey as
>> a 2nd rate hack who supported  the Vnam war even in his campaign for
>> President until the final weeks of the campaign.  I also remember
>> learning  that he cosponsered a bill during Truman-McCarthy era to put
>> commies in concentration camps.    I hate to see Humphrey hagiography
>> catching on. Anyone able to provide a link to a article about Humphrey
>> that does not "Saint" him the way Perlstein does? Not the most
>> important thing in the world, but bad history is seldom a good idea.
>
> Rick is one of those left-liberals whose study of the right leads them into apologetics for some awful Dems. HHH, yuck.
>
> Doug

But I've seen this linked all over the liberal sites. All the freaking liberals are pushing it. They are trying to extend the "Nader" meme back in time to blame Nixon on "the left". Someone somewhere has to have written about Humphrey. Though he was always so supremely dull maybe nobody has. I see a great Hunter Thompson quote about him. "There is no way to grasp what a shallow, contemptible and hopelessly dishonest old hack Hubert Humphrey is until you've followed him around for a while." But I don't know if Thompson wrote much more. One of the problem may have been that at the time that what Thompson said was so obvious that nobody bothered writing an entire article on it.

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598 Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com