[lbo-talk] Roy/Shiva

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Jun 5 12:47:27 PDT 2011

We are going to publish the US edition of an interesting book by Vandana Shiva, titled The God Market. The book examines the ways in which neoliberalism and Hinduism have intersected. New variants of Hinduism have helped to rationalize the social and economic inequalities wrought by neoliberalism in India, and these new forms have themselves become sources of capital accumulation. It is a well-written and radical account of important connections among capital accumulation, exploitation, the state, and religion. From this book, I can see why Shiva might not be too popular in India. This book will be available in the fall from Monthly Review Press.