[lbo-talk] Roy/Shiva

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 13:57:57 PDT 2011

Let me guess. Arjuna was a kshatriya, so killing his relatives is just what a kshatriya does. We're vaishyas, so fucking people over to accumulate wealth is just what a vaishya does. Forget Joseph Campbell and that follow your bliss bullshit. Follow your varnadharma!

----- Original Message ---- From: Bhaskar Sunkara <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sun, June 5, 2011 3:31:32 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Roy/Shiva

Regarding Hinduism and neoliberalism: the resurgence in popularity of the Bhagavad Gita in particular, as opposed to other parts of the Mahabharata, is a part of this trend. It's been used to justify hierarchy and income disparity and not just in India, apparently it's becoming what *The Art of War *was for Gordon Gekko-esque douchebags in the 1980s- http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_44/b4007091.htm

<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_44/b4007091.htm>I can't say I'm a tremendous fan of Shiva, but someone's needed to write a book on this topic for sometime.