[lbo-talk] Arundhati Roy

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jun 6 13:37:40 PDT 2011

On Jun 5, 2011, at 5:58 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> I think it's because she encourages people to see her as the romantic voice of the East, here to be wise and thoughtful and colorful in her expressions and analogies. Come on Ravi! It's sooooo cute that this nice, petite, Indian lady has wise, old answers and makes silly analogies about thin milk and heavy cream. I mean, isn't that what people from the East are ALLLLLLLLLLLLL about? They bring wisdom to poor Westerners who are incapable of wisdom and they do so in such cutesy, folksy ways with the inept analogies that you can't help but chuckle at. Western journalists eat that shit up, especially when they get to write about her household help serving up mangoes while she raps on about her dream of eating mangoes in the moonlight. I mean, she says shit like that and you know it just has to be said for the audience who expect people from India to be all magical, irrational, and romantic like that.

:-)

Dissenting Wren says it’s all about the envy. So we should run with that, I think, and get on this racket! I will work up something about the fragrant splendour of papayas in heat and the elusive hooded mongoose of Mannargudi. You guys figure out a way to get me on PBS.

—ravi

Warning, even my mother wouldn’t call me pretty, so you will have to work without that!