[lbo-talk] RT story on transgenic fish farming

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Jun 6 20:00:22 PDT 2011

We already eat GM crops and now GM Salmon, which grows faster and larger than ordinary salmon, and is soon to come onto the market. But does anyone know what effect they will have on us and our environment? This fascinating documentary follows the few independent researchers of genetic engineering as they investigate the dangers of "Monster Salmon".

http://rt.com/programs/documentary/monster-salmon-butterflies-transgenic/

The real issue is what happens to current species and environments as these transgenic species escape into the wild populations. The studies and reports to agencies like the FDA are considered proprietary secrets covered under various copyright and patent laws. So they are not available for public review. We have no way of knowing what the risks to our food or our own populations. With grains, and oils we have been consuming for about a decade, there is no labeling. We lost that battle. Without labeling there is no way to trace if or if not GM products have done any damage, since we can't isolate consumers of these products from non-consumers and inspect for differences.

The corporations that are pushing these transgenic species haven't waited for FDA review or approval and there are no public hearings. Instead they have turned to foreign markets like Thailand to push one of their transgenic fish species on that lucrative market for farmed fish. They want to push this new species on the local fish farmers.

Several independent labs are rushing their studies on sal