[lbo-talk] The Skinny on Greece

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 07:39:26 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dennis: "even the most ordinary people can't imagine living without the Empire."
>
> [WS:]  I do not think it is true, if by Empire you mean foreign
> relations and policy.

But you can't separate foreign policy from domestic policy, because the US was not just another English-speaking country during most of the 20th century, but a world hegemon. The foreign is the mask of the domestic: the war on Vietnam was the War on Poverty, the war on drugs is the Terror War, etc. The contradiction reaches deep into identity-politics, where the US versions of masculinity and whiteness are saturated by centuries of imperialism.

I'd argue that's why we need *both* struggles -- against the empire's wars, and against reactionary identity-politics.

-- DRR