[lbo-talk] Todd Gitlin: the most pompous ass ever?

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 9 11:08:49 PDT 2011

On Jun 9, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Angelus Novus wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>
>> BTW, Israel has been occupying Palestine from the 1940s (and perhaps
>> all the way back to 1917), yes, not 1967?
>

> The above is Blut und Boden ideology.

My head spins at the way you guys drop names!

> Everybody on the planet should be able to live wherever the fuck they want. The problem is not some alleged external "occupation" of Palestine by Jews of land to which Palestinian Arabs are presumed to have some organic, eternal claim.
>
> The problem is that the state of Israel denies Palestinian Arabs the ability to live where they want, without having to deal with murder by soliders or checkpoint harassment.

Ergo, the word “occupation” (note the lack of use of the term “external” or “Jews”). If Wren und Martin disagree, use some other word that works for you. But please… really... let’s not try to dress up simple differences with high theory while at the same time singing the praise of the likes of Meera Nanda.

—ravi