[lbo-talk] compare & contrast: KIPP vs. Sidwell Friends

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Jun 9 20:04:23 PDT 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 02:53:57 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> I write all this with my heart in a knot because
> I do realize everything that my daughter missed by
> not going to an elite school, and yet if she is to
> be an artist or teacher (her goals), I think her
> experience of Oakland Unified Public schools might
> be more valuable in the long run. She loves to read

She didn't miss a thing. If she loves to read, she's set to find out as much as she wants to know, or as much as there is to know, whichever comes first. Schools don't know how to make an enquiring mind, but they can be awfully effective at shutting one down. You dodged a bullet.

And I am over quota. Time to go get drunk, as another correspondent suggested.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com