[lbo-talk] compare & contrast: KIPP vs. Sidwell Friends

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 05:34:12 PDT 2011

Michael: "Give it a few years, mon copain, and let's talk. I'll be interested to hear your experiences. Depends a lot on your kid. If he turns out to be the sort of kid the elite schools like, it'll all be smooth sailing. If not... well, let's hope he is."

[WS:] Yup. Case in point - a story that I heard from a reliable source. Two yuppie parents asked the school district to place their adopted from abroad son in a "residential setting" (a code word for a lockup for kids with severe mental or emotional problems.) The school district refused on the grounds that this was not warranted - the kid might have been not the sharpest knife in the drawer but normal and with no signs of serious behavioral problems. The yuppie parents initially threatened a lawsuit but later - very likely on an advice of their sleazy lawyer - decided to "unadopt" the kid an make him a ward of the state.

It is quite obvious that the push for school reform comes, in a large part, from the parents who treat education as a credentialing service selling passes to successful yuppie careers.

Wojtek