[lbo-talk] compare & contrast: KIPP vs. Sidwell Friends

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jun 10 06:26:44 PDT 2011

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:15:14 -0700 Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> The difference between
> playgrounds is a good indicator of the gap.

Amenities are certainly ... what would the adjective be? Amene? My point was more about the fundamental similarities in mentality.

> At Sidwell, a Quaker school, teachers don't spend days drilling kids
> to pass standardized tests

They don't have to. The parents take care of that, with test-prep classes loaded on top of the already onerous elite-school workload. That's the curious thing -- the managerial/professional elite can't relax and enjoy life, or let their kids do so either. It's still a rat race, even when you're top rat on the landfill.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com