[lbo-talk] compare & contrast: KIPP vs. Sidwell Friends

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 10 07:13:00 PDT 2011

Alan writes: "and yes, Carrol, I know this is only at the level of reform politics"

I don't object to reform politics; in fact, I don't know of any politics that are dnot reform politics. (A revolution is merely a mass struggle for reforms that gets out of hand. There is no such thing as "revolutionary politics" in contrast to "reform politics."

But your proposal is still objectionable - because it is a silly fefdorm wehich cannot be embodied in mass action, and which will never be "granted" by the powers-that-be (which is the alternative to mass action).

No one on this list seems to have even faint notion of what is going on in the U.S. now, the spark being Wisconsin but local organizing has been gaining force for some time and needed only such a spark to rise to new levels. (To see one straw in the widn, google Illinois People's Action.") It is only popular action ata athe base that can set goals of struggle; as those goals get defiend, it is the responsibility of intellectuals not to lecture people on what they "'should' want but to theorize, raise to a level of theory, the actual struggles already going on.

Carrol