[lbo-talk] Testing proves testing works

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri Jun 10 23:15:32 PDT 2011

Here is a website that surveys the national education report card through statistics and tests that have nothing to do with punishing teachers.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/pubs/studies/2011462.asp

When their results were compared with Rhee's testing, that's where the problems with Rhee's results were found. NCES results showed 1% or less improvement in DC schools, while Rhee's results show 12%.

One interesting finding was that 2005 students took more units, but showed little difference from 1990 scores. So they work harder and get nothing better, or only slightly better.

What all this means to me is that NCES can be a resource for people who want to fight the political ideology of testing proves that testing works. This was a fantastic ad slogan from an Alaska Airlines ad series in the waay back, that also featured miniture chickens and pin head sized tomatoes, micro brush sized celery and several other vegetables to mock the airline food served in other airlines. It was the funniest ad campaign I ever saw. Pure Madison Avenue genius.

CG