[lbo-talk] Small Group Of People Dominate Some Internet Discussions

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jun 13 04:24:28 PDT 2011

I've long argued that Clay Shirky's 80/20 rule, by which he's pointing at Parenti, is really more like 98/2. When someone complains to me that so few people reply to their blog post, I ask them how many readers they have and what percentage of those readers reply. If they are doing better than 2%, that's a good thing. I was explaining this to a marketing type at work, when I was asked to be a consultant on their social media strategy. She looked and me and said, "Wow. Yeah. I hadn't thought about that. Now we won't be so disappointed with participation levels. It's just like a marketing campaign, where a 3% response rate is a good result!" ha ha ha.

You see the same thing in civic life. You're lucky if you get 5% of your membership to actively engage. They'll join, they'll even pay dues, but to actually get them involved.... 2-5% of all active participants carry a group forward. That is why I've always agreed with Carrol when he tells us to focus on small numbers. It's really evident in any kind of organizing that a very very few people are the committed core, the rest just follow along... maybe cheering the core activists on, maybe grumbling about them in a corner, whatever -- until something pushes them out of their seat. Then, wham! Plugging away, wishing more people would get involved, you get a shock of your life: they had been paying attention all along, silently supportive (or feeling alienated) and NOW they have something to say and are willing to put their ass on the line to make something happen.