[lbo-talk] CNN blogs: Daniel Ellsberg: All the crimes Richard Nixon committed against me are now legal

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jun 13 06:38:16 PDT 2011

http://inthearena.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/07/daniel-ellsberg-all-the-crimes-richard-nixon-committed-against-me-are-now-legal/

Q: These days, when you find yourself thinking about Richard Nixon,

what comes to mind?

A: Richard Nixon, if he were alive today, might take bittersweet

satisfaction to know that he was not the last smart president to

prolong unjustifiably a senseless, unwinnable war, at great cost in

human life. (And his aide Henry Kissinger was not the last American

official to win an undeserved Nobel Peace Prize.)

He would probably also feel vindicated (and envious) that ALL the

crimes he committed against me-which forced his resignation facing

impeachment-are now legal.

That includes burglarizing my former psychoanalyst's office (for

material to blackmail me into silence), warrantless wiretapping, using

the CIA against an American citizen in the US, and authorizing a White

House hit squad to "incapacitate me totally" (on the steps of the

Capitol on May 3, 1971). All the above were to prevent me from exposing

guilty secrets of his own administration that went beyond the Pentagon

Papers. But under George W. Bush and Barack Obama,with the PATRIOT

Act, the FISA Amendment Act, and (for the hit squad) President Obama's

executive orders. they have all become legal.

There is no further need for present or future presidents to commit

obstructions of justice (like Nixon's bribes to potential witnesses) to

conceal such acts. Under the new laws, Nixon would have stayed in

office, and the Vietnam War would have continued at least several more

years.

Likewise, where Nixon was the first president in history to use the

54-year-old Espionage Act to indict an American (me) for unauthorized

disclosures to the American people (it had previously been used, as

intended, exclusively against spies), he would be impressed to see that

President Obama has now brought five such indictments against leaks,

almost twice as many as all previous presidents put together (three).

He could only admire Obama's boldness in using the same Espionage Act

provisions used against me-almost surely unconstitutional used against

disclosures to the American press and public in my day, less surely

under the current Supreme Court-to indict Thomas Drake, a classic

whistleblower who exposed illegality and waste in the NSA.

Drake's trial begins on June 13, the 40th anniversary of the

publication of the Pentagon Papers. If Nixon were alive, he might well

choose to attend.

<end excerpt>

Fortunately the Drake case fell apart before then -- the only chink of light in this dismal accounting.

Michael