[lbo-talk] compare & contrast: KIPP vs. Sidwell Friends

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 07:05:03 PDT 2011

Doug: "No it doesn't. Where did you get this from? School "reform" is intended mainly for the children of the poor."

[WS:] The school "reform" is intended for public schools, which is used by the middle class and the poor. The "reform" has nothing to do with the students and everything to do with publicly subsidized private profits and breaking teachers unions. And as far as I can tell, a majority of the US public loves to bash public schools and teachers unions, and they see the "reform" in a similar way the medieval paupers saw public executions of petty thieves - it did not matter that it could be them next time, but this time it was an opportunity to kick someone else's ass and feel good about it.

Many of those middle and lower income parents think that the school 'reform" will give them an opportunity to send their kids to private or quasi-private schools, just as the elites do. With the exception of a few bleeding heart liberals, they do not give a flying fuck about public education other than seeing is a a tax "burden."

This is based on my unscientific observations, but I doubt that a ''scientific" survey can ever show this. Most people are to smart to look like spiteful bigots in front of survey takers or reporters.

Wojtek