[lbo-talk] new article

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 13 11:42:25 PDT 2011

There is no such thing as the "the Marxist Theory of Imperialism." One could speak of the various conceptions of imperialism held by various Marxists, but those theories differ sharply. Havey and Wood disagree on _what_ capitalism is, and hence have sharp differences of opinion on current "imperialism." In fact, many Marxists even doubt that "imperialism" is a currently useful analytic category. Certainly the theory of imperialism implicit in the writins of DRR, for example, are clearly false, since they imply that the alleged "decine" of U.S. power represents a decline of "imperial" power -- which is absurd. Any account assuming "the" Marxist theory exists is therefore an illusory account.

Carrol