[lbo-talk] Weiner unhid!

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:01:22 PDT 2011

:

In reply, On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The evangelical hymn was appropriate, because this is an evangelical
> approach to politics. It's about saving souls - but who cares about saving
> souls? Surely, as someone who admires Marx, you can see that businesses
> can't be brought to be nice to workers through moralism; consumers can't be
> brought to use less carbon through moralism;....it's a structural condition in
> which we find ourselves. If we want to work our way out of this situation,
> moralizing -- and worse, ridicule and invective -- won't help. Only strategy
> will. I don't have a twelve-point plan for this, but if such a plan existed
> it would surely involve, at some stage, working with Democrats, both elected
> ones and rank-and-filers.

Nicely put. In addition one I think it is a bad idea to cheer too loudly when the bad guys are taken down by the worse guys. As with Clinton taking hits for a blow job, Weiner taking major hits for sexting helps reinforce American puritanism, something that is already quite bad enough. And its being used as an excuse to give credibility to Breitbart. Hell with cheering that shit on.