[lbo-talk] 2012 presidential election

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 07:18:00 PDT 2011

For a while I thought that Obama would effectively use the "bully pulpit" to popularize an alternative framing of economic debate - more consistent with a liberal world view. Regrettably he did not do a very good job in that respect, I would give him a C minus at best.

Wojtek

That's a whole lot of responsibility on one man. I don't really think it is the presidents job to be out front on issues. That is what social movements are for. If the left has given up on even the idea of some mildly progressive programs coming from the Dems then I don't know where Obama would get the wind to set his sails. Thus leaving him to attempt to tack off of the terribleness of the right. I think you will agree that it is a lack of left institutional force that is to blame more than one person.

Brad